The Boomer Esiason Foundation and PMD Healthcare have joined forces for two reasons:
- To provide home spirometry to the CF community enabling real time monitoring anytime, anywhere.
- To learn more about the impact of remote patient monitoring in the CF population.
Through the help and hard work of Jerry Cahill and a grant from the Boomer Esiason Foundation, 40 people living with Cystic Fibrosis were gifted a Spiro PD 2.0, Personal Spirometer.
To assess the impact home spirometry had on their daily lives, each person was asked to complete an online survey after using the Spiro PD 2.0 Personal Spirometer.
Here’s what those using home spirometry had to say:
- 100% of respondents said home lung function monitoring with Spiro PD 2.0 enables them to better follow their lung function trends.
- 94% said using Spiro PD 2.0 empowers them and/or makes them feel more confident in managing their CF.
- The majority of respondents reported:
- It helps identify if their PFT’s are declining and it is time to call the doctor.
- It allows them to better assess and manage the factors that influence their pulmonary function.
- It enables them to provide their medical professionals more accurate information when experiencing an exacerbation or having a routine evaluation.
- Some felt that it could help them prevent an exacerbation.
- Most found the Spiro PD 2.0 Personal Spirometer easy to use and ALL respondents said they would recommend Spiro PD 2.0 to other people with CF.
In addition to the survey, there were powerful testimonials from patients and providers:
“I think it has helped out patients with many of the things they mentioned. Calling earlier than they used to has been a big improvement in care. We are tending to catch exacerbations earlier rather than reaching admission/IV time. I think the confidence in care has been seen. More positive about knowing themselves and this illness better.”
-Jana Yeley, NP from Indiana Health
“My patients are utilizing the device with positive feedback saying that it provides them reassurance about their health status and close monitoring of their lung function”
- Dr. Janice Wang, Director of Northwell Health Adult CF Center
“I was very happy to have the opportunity to provide my patients, especially those that live far away from clinic, the home spirometers to monitor their own lung function. The patients were very motivated to have them and grateful. ”
-Dr. Claire Keating, Associate Director of the Gunnar Esiason Adult Cystic Fibrosis and Lung Program
“For a long time, I worried if my PFT’s were declining because I would feel different one day to the next. Now I have comfort when those thoughts fill my head.”
“I feel fortunate to have this in my life.”
“Wonderful machine and so accurate. Gives me the confidence I need and allows me to see my lung function stats on a routine basis, not just in clinic.”
-BEF Spiro PD Participants
The PMD Healthcare & Boomer Esiason Foundation Collaboration has been a wonderful success and has taught us that we need to continue full steam ahead in our efforts to provide more people the chance to monitor their condition anytime, and anywhere.
PMD Heatlhcare has invested heavily to streamline patient access to the Spiro PD 2.0 device. We will work with you, your insurance company and referring provider to help ensure that you receive timely and affordable access to your Spiro PD 2.0.